Friday, September 17, 2004

Here.

Since my arrival in the city, there had been a sense of impermanence surrounding me. Temporary apartment, temporary contract jobs, temporary moments, almost as if I had been waiting for life to start.

And now, I find myself settling into routine, biking to work, making friends, and enjoying life. It's nice.

But then, on Tuesday night, I heard an incredibly talented jazz singer perform two of my favourite jazz standards*, and I felt myself become temporary once more. My apartment has yet to right itself after my recent move, and a lack of groceries doesn't help.

*Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You, and Why Don't You Do Right? And not to worrry folks, the monkeys will be back soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear that. We are still working on things like, oh, getting the boxspring out of the stairwell, or, um, shelves for books. -Sarah