Sunday, January 22, 2006

Pirates + Ghosts + Disney = Awesome

I was browsing around the other day, and stumbled across a movie which remains one of my childhood favourites: Disney's "Blackbeard's Ghost" (IMDb link). It's a unique story – a track coach unintentionally summons the ghost of Blackbeard, who has been cursed to limbo until a shred of good is found in his character. Blackbeard helps the completely hapless track team win its annual meet, thereby allowing his descendents to win the money required to pay off their mortgage. Or something like that. There are a couple of surprises along the way. ;)

Anyway, while watching it tonight, I was struck by the typography of the movie. Everything from the distribution credit to the studio name gets a treatment, and it's top notch stuff. Apparently the film made more of an impression on me than I thought, because I recall spending a good amount of time drawing letters that were very similar, for all of my piratical applications.

Here's what I mean:

Seriously. "Buena Vista" set in what looks like a brush script, but with ragged, torn edges. Hot:




I'd love to see the new "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie try and bust out type and colour like this (I'm getting tired of Photoshop bling-tacular type on movie posters. Oh, and photo-montages. Enough already):




Hells yeah:




Dean Jones, who seemed to star in every single Disney movie of my childhood, in the role of the track coach:




And the inimitable Sir Peter Ustinov as Blackbeard:

1 comment:

Sarah said...

YES!

(Pssst! http://www.arimneste.com/blog/)