Friday, March 24, 2006

Drawings Rohbuts - Part One

I'm going to put aside hilarious "Bells and Whistles" wits and aristocratic monkeys for a little bit, although I'm still taking submissions for names, and there's still time to win the contest.

On that note, here's a big update about my process in taking a sketchbook drawing and converting it to digital art, so that I can apply it to a variety of projects, one of which may be a stylish new t-shirt. ;)

Some of the images have smaller details, so you can click them for a larger size.


Meet "Stompy". After roughing out an initial pencil line drawing, I ink the lines until I get to this stage. One quick scan later, and you're looking at the drawing as it is in my sketchbook. (Sorry I don't have my early line drawings – I hadn't envisioned this post when I was drawing him.)





Good and all. Now, in Adobe Illustrator, I trace over my inked sketch, creating the magenta lines and shapes.




Here's the tracing, without the original drawing. Fancy, eh?




Alright. Now, because I'd already inked the sketch and given Stompy some thickness to him, I basically have to trace those shapes, which I'll call the "fill shapes".




Alrighty! Got the outline shape, and got the fill shapes. Last step is to trace the lines (in yellow) which represent his articulated arms and legs.




So! Here's all the Illustrator line work, super-imposed over the original sketch. You can see I've made a couple of changes while I worked, in particular to the shape of his left foot.



And just for the hell of it, here's an animated GIF of the entire process. Ooooh! Super-fancy!



Coming up next? Colour and shading! Tune in on Monday!

3 comments:

fin said...

He is so cute!

Design Monkey said...

Thanks Fin! I'm hoping to get the colour versions up today if it slows down at work.

Rory said...

i want to paint stompy on my bedroom door. is that cool with you?