Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Drawings Rohbuts - Part Two

So my last post detailed the process of taking a sketch of one of my new rohbuts and converting that sketch into a usable digital format. As always, you can click the images for larger versions.

I'd explained up until the point where I had a complete outline of both his solid fill areas, and his overall outline:




Alright! So, working from here, I make all those magenta outlined shapes into black solid shapes. This will be Stompy's outline, and the fill/colour areas will sit on top of it:




Ok, now I'm going to hide that layer so that I can work on the fills and pick some colours. Stompy should be a nice iron red, and his legs and arms will be a blue-gray. I'm keeping his fills as outlines for the moment as I'll need to move bits forwards and backwards (more on that in a bit) later:




Now I can switch the outlines into solid shapes.




When I talked about moving bits forwards and backwards two steps ago, this was the step I was referring to. Here I take Stompy's elbow joints, his hands and his fingers from the original solid black and move them to the layer with the fill colour shapes. This way, when they sit on the black outline, they don't get lost.



Hide the fill layer and here's what that original black outline looks like now that I've taken the joints, hands and fingers out and moved them forwards.




Ok! Make the fill and the solid black layers visible and bam! Stompy's looking pretty good, if not a little nervous about stretching his left leg out like that. He'll get over that once he stomps on some fleshlings.




Couple of last touches. He still needs the lines on his arms and legs to represent the articulation. This is easy because all I do is make that layer (see image from previous post) visible, and change the colour from yellow to black.




Is he done yet? Not quite. I still want to add some reflections to his chest and his legs. Although I haven't completed these last little touches, I have started his legs, as you can tell here.





And keeping with the tradition of the previous post, here's a super-fancy, compli-micated animated GIF of the entire process:

1 comment:

jjuedt0 said...

I find this robot perfect as a "cover" for my DJ-mix.
I am taking permission to use it for non-commercial use, just to have a robot-picture for my mix. In case that´s all right with you, thank you very much.
If you do not want me to take it, or if you like Breakbeat and want my Mix, please drop me a line.