Thursday, August 17, 2006

Revealed!

Ok, so you know that project to which I've kept vaguely referring? The one with the penguin? You know! The one that I started back in April?

Well, it's finished.

I wanted to keep this project secret until it was finished. Given the scope of the project, I didn't want to risk a situation where people asked : "Hey, did you ever finish _____?" and me having to reply sheepishly: "Oh, um... no. I... uh... well, I got really busy."

So. What is it?

It's a book. I've wanted to do a book for a long time (brochures don't count, regardless of how many pages they have), and I happened upon the perfect project.

So. What is it?

It's a Monkey Book. To be precise, it's:



A Monkey's Alphabet is a full-colour, hand-illustrated, 36 page book that goes through the alphabet with monkeys as the subject for each letter. I had the idea spontaneously one day, and within a few minutes had the idea fleshed out as a gift for my niece's second birthday, not to mention a book to mark the birth of my brand new niece.

Many evenings were spent huddled over my sketchbook with pencil and Staedtler pen. And, when I was told the news that my nieces would be moving abroad (their father works with the consular corps), I suddenly had a deadline that was a little sooner than I had hoped. Hence, the lack of frequency of posts on this blog (hey, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it).

Along the way, a couple of familiar friends ended up in the book.

I'm publishing the book through Lulu, which is a brilliant, easy to use self-publishing service. I should be getting my proofs back sometime next week, but until then, I'll be posting screenshots of some of the letters.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Awesome!